It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: MM Discover - disappeared map!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:45 pm 

An unusual problem. About a year ago I received a gift of a MM Discoverer complete with the UK OS 1:50000 map for the UK pre-installed. I have used it frequently but several weeks ago the map on the Discoverer stopped working. On linking it to my PC I was able to see form the relevant folder that the size of the file shows as 0kb although on my PC the file in the relevant folder there shows as 3,118.805kb in size. It appears to be impossible to transfer the full file to the Discoverer. I contacted Memory Map support about this but have had no reply. I have tried again today but without a response so far.
I am also unable to link the memory map software on my PC to the Discoverer even though in GPS setup in the Memory Map software I choose USB connection and manufacturer as Garmin; there is no manufacturer choice of Memory Map and I believe that Garmin make the Discoverer. When I make the choices mentioned and click to setup the message 'GPS: Garmin not connected' appears. The only way I have found to transfer tracks/routes between the PC and the Discoverer is to copy the track from the relevant folder on one and then paste it to the relevant folder on the other. Surely there is an easier way and that it is possible to connect the Discover for import and export of tracks and routes?

Post subject: Re: MM Discover - disappeared map!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:07 pm 

I am a little confused. MM Discoverer is a license, not a device, per se. There is a Garmin Discoverer package which is a set of maps. Can you tell me what device you are actually using?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:12 pm 

The device has the Memory Map logo on back and front and it states on the back that it is a Model A2800. From Amazon it appears to be the Memory-Map Adventurer 2800 GPS Including Full GB Maps - see http://www.amazon.co.uk/Memory-Map-Adventurer-2800-Including-Full/dp/B003H4QVBS/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328720705&sr=8-2-fkmr0. The installation guide supplied with the GPS has a serial number sticker that refers to Discoverer. Has there been a name change since I received it as a gift?
As mentioned, I have sent an, as yet, unanswered query to Memory Map support in which I gave the serial number of the device, which is registered, so they should be able to trace it and identify the exact model that I have and the maps that came pre-installed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:25 pm 

You are speaking about the Adventurer. The link below will explain the process for moving maps, but you are essentially correct with this model.

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/downloads/P ... Manual.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:24 pm 

Thanks for the link. Sadly, when I try to copy over the whole GB 1:50k map from PC to GPS, following the instructions shown in the link, it fails, and nothing is copied over. Maybe Memory Map support will be able to provide the answer when (if?) they respond to my query to them.
Other ideas in the meantime would be welcome, including why the Memory Map software fails to recognise the GPS.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:17 am 

Quote:
when I try to copy over the whole GB 1:50k map from PC to GPS
Are you doing the whole map in one go or are you doing it in pieces?

Quote:
I am also unable to link the memory map software on my PC to the Discoverer even though in GPS setup in the Memory Map software I choose USB connection and manufacturer as Garmin; there is no manufacturer choice of Memory Map
&
Quote:
Memory Map software fails to recognise the GPS
Modern devices like the 2800 are recognised by Windows as external drives. As such, MM communicates with them through Windows explorer, not through the GPS or Mobile Device menu options.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:19 am 

I have been trying to copy the whole map over. The failure to copy I finally tracked down to a Windows 7 error that I 'Googled' and was able to fix. Unfortunately taht hasn't solved the problem as when I try to open the map on the Adventurer 2800 I get the error message on the GPS of "Could not open file \SDMM Card\Maps\OS50\OS50_GB.QCT". Clicking OK repeats the file detail but preceded by "Failed to open file".
I have sent this information to Memory Map support but once again they have failed to acknowledge or respond with any solution.
You write that
Quote:
Modern devices like the 2800 are recognised by Windows as external drives. As such, MM communicates with them through Windows explorer, not through the GPS or Mobile Device menu options.
"
Does that mean I have to copy and paste instead of importing or exporting direct or connecting to the GPS through the Memory Map software?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:39 am 

Hi,

The original GB map file on the Adventurer (SD card) would have been in .QC3 format (with a small .QCT "sidecar" file) but on your PC the map is probably in a single .QCT format file (~3GB). The Adventurer can read .QC3 files up to the filing system limit (4GB) but .QCT files only up to about 400MB.

If you have somehow "lost" the original .QC3 file on the Adventurer, you will either have to try to get it replaced by technical support or "cut" the PC's .QCT map file into sections of less than 400MB as described on page 7 of the user manual posted above.

Cheers, Alan.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:41 pm 

Thanks - I'll give it a try if I don't hear back from Memory Map support with a better suggestion. I have sent them 3-4 messages direct through the MM web-site and e-mailed them also, but have had no reply at all. I telephoned their support line for the UK only to hear the message that all queries should be through the enquiry form or the forum. It seems like a bit of a joke to me as MM don't appear to provide any product support, which I find truly shocking. They certainly don't reply within 2 days as the telephone message promises; perhaps the real response time is 2 weeks or perhaps 2 months or maybe even 2 years, if not 2 eternities. Whatever, customer support isn't a business priority!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:04 pm 

Please contact me directly at usmmtech@memory-map.com and I will look at this issue.