It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: GPS Location
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:26 am 

Last one for now :)

On the PC version (like the IPAD version) it is virtually impossible to enter a GPS position

41°19.252'S, 174°49.117'E -- this is the way that I need to enter in MM - where is the degree symbol found?

Would be able to enter it as 41 19.252s 174 49.117e as we can with Google Maps/Earth and most other GEOCaching programs

Thanks again

Post subject: Re: GPS Location
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:34 am 

To get a degree symbol you need to access the extended character set. Unfortunately your keyboard doesn't have 255 keys but that doesn't stop you getting at the ones which aren't on your keyboard.

Hold down the 'Alt' key and then on the keypad (NOT the numbers across the top of the keyboard) tap 248. Then release the 'Alt' key. This gives me a degree symbol in Memory Map on my PC.

There are many character sets available (as you might have seen if you explore Word of Excel so you can type in Greek if you wish). Memory Map appears as a conventional Windows programme on my PC (in terms of font appearance) but I guess that if you have a different set up perhaps you might have to hunt for the right key code. Also included in the key codes are control codes which depending on what you are using at the time might be interpreted as Close, Exit, delete, switch windows etc so be warned if this technique is new to you. e.g. typing in this post I couldn't get the degree symbol as I have described but I closed the window I was typing in more than once while I was experimenting!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:45 am 

Easiest way I have found is to mark a waypoint anywhere on a map then right click for overlay properties and edit the letters and numbers from the revised position , also changing the name ,waypoint symbol etc. I will see if I can find the degree symbol on my laptop though in case needed!
Having just looked at the MM help I see there is a simulator which would be another way of manually entering a position.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:16 pm 

You don't have to type the degree symbol. You can use just about any letter or punctuation in its place, but not a space.