It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Touchscreen sensitivity
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:28 pm 

Further to my post on Monday I am now finding that the screen is very jumpy when selecting options from the pop-up menus with the stylus.
Often the option given is that next to the one selected ie the screen is very jumpy making the process VERY frustrating.
For the record my hand is still quite steady (even allowing for my age) but this happens too often.

This issue, along with the jumpy map scrolling (see previous posting) is proving to be extremely dissapointing in such an acclaimed unit (not to mention expensive!)

MEMORY MAP - is my unit faulty?

From my brief reading through some of the other posts I get the impression that this and many other issue are quite common which I find unacceptable at any price for the kit.

Post subject: Re: Touchscreen sensitivity
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:50 pm 

bazzer1,

i'm afraid at least with my unit there seems a fault with the screen jumping, sometimes its quite small..... other times its down right awfull, i,ve never been able to work out what causes it.... there's no pattern to it.
I also believe later models were less prone to this problem (i've owned mine from launch), so you have either been sold an earlier model or supports response to the problem raised some months ago is inaccurate. they stated later models do not suffer this problem and could never replicate the problem on earlier models at testing.

Too be honest i've sought of give up any hope of support sorting this problem out, they deny the problem.... so are hardly in a position to help.

I use the 3500 mostly on a weekly basis and just learn to live with the problem.... not ideal, apart from that its a very good unit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:47 am 

johnmandy,

Thanks for your input and sympathy.
I don't, however, understand how anyone should have to accept this situation.
My unit is brand new supplied direct from MM so if they think they have sorted the problem they need to think again.
The unit should operate as advertised so MM should do the right thing by its customers whatever the price of the product. At £300, however, this "premium" product should never be in the position of disapointing so many of its users. Incidentally I think "disapointing" is putting it mildly!

The use of map scrolling is a big part of the attraction for purchasers of this gps.

Have MM ever offered to replace your unit?

Come on "MM Support" do the right thing by your customers and at least respond to this post (and my previous post last Monday)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:30 pm 

Hi again bazzer1,

With regards my problem.... in fairness to memorymap, all customers with this problem can send their units back for testing or fixiing/replacing.
I kind of started living with the problem, using it on my mtb approx 30% of the time... it never annoys me for that pastime, but using it for mountain walking can frustrate you occasionally.
Again perhaps i'm a bit lazy for one and find i use the unit too often to send back... so i just tolerate it.
It really is, at least for me.... a very good unit, but i just wish memorymap would feel the same way and start looking at more upgrades for their handheld gps range.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:27 am 

johnmandy wrote:
Hi again bazzer1,
i use the unit too often to send back... so i just tolerate it.
It really is, at least for me.... a very good unit, but i just wish memorymap would feel the same way and start looking at more upgrades for their handheld gps range.

totally agree John. Mine has been variable in use, mostly works but some days is impossbile to use, but have tolerated it. It does seem to have got worse. Nothing to do with routes etc being stored as I always d/l & clear them. Last weekend up the hills in poor conditions it let me down completely as was useless to click on preset waypoints, too jumpy to use at all and in the windchill I wasnt able to recalibrate. Back home when I went o re calibrate it got stucj at the calibration screen and despite resetting evry which way wont move past this screen so I'm afraid it is going back for testing/replacement
I really want to keep this unit but it is trying my patience!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:41 am 

Thanks for input scottiedog,

Although I haven't tested my unit in earnest yet I am not at all pleased with the touch screen scrolling whilst "playing" with it.
I am just about to ring the Customer Service Number on my delivery invoice but if I didn't have that (ie if I had bought the thing from a retail outlet) I would not be able to contact MM as their support telephone line only gives a recorded message refering you to this website - and so far MM have failed to respond to my posting (after a week) - so have not given me the option to return the gps.

They seem to be burying their heads in the sand over this issue.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:02 am 

@bazzer1
you need to raise an RMA request from the Memorymap support page
link here
I am sending mine back to see what they can do.

i put a very short video on youtube of the screen jumping issue here. My unit has been far worse than this shows but even at best it is impossible to do anything accurate with it

video link

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:10 am 

mines exactly the same jumps sometime wont scroll then shoots off miles away and the on board keyboard i can press a key and it will operate a key 2 keys away. To me this unit is only any good for mountain biking and if you want a decent gps just use a iphone just puts this unit to shame. have you ever had a jumpy screen on a mobile? i doubt if if you did it be straight back to shop.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:48 pm 

I wonder if when this unit was launched (after very little testing it seems) that Memory Map thought we have a winner here. I am sure after a very short time they realised they had not. It seems to me that after an update that did resolve a few of the 300's problems that Memory map are now burying their heads in the sand.

I hardly use my 300 now I as i need a GPS that is fully reliable instead I purchased a Sat Map active 10, now thats what a GPS should be like rugged well made and no software or mechanical issues

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:46 pm 

sariel,

I think its a bit unfair to state the 3500 is unreliable, i use mine perhaps on a weekly basis, i have now covered between walking and mtb milage in the thousands, and i can garantee a unit thats not reliable will not stand up to that usage.
Now i find the unit very rugged, spoilt by some very small software niggles...... screen jumping etc, i have never failed to get a satalite fix... i have never had a software crash during my trips, and at least my unit behaves (apart from occasional screen jumping) as would be expected.
Now the problem for me is the geniune lack of support from memorymap, why the lack of support for what could be a very good unit, i have started attending the forum regularly again and find on the whole..... if the question doesn't contain the words, android.... iphone... pc your unlikely to get an answer.... now thats an incredable stance for memorymap to take and very risky.
I was hoping that USMMTECH would take up the mantle of supporting the adventure range, they seem the most robust in answering non adventurer related problems and would be ideal in that role.......

My dissapointment lies more with Mr Richard Stephens who i believe is the MD of the company, and i do except he as personal problems at the moment, the near total abandonment of support for the adventure range borders on being insane, with serious implications for its future, now this can only be solved with direction from the MD, it really beggars belief that if you have a query on the iphone... android... pc software its answered sometimes instantly, then when you have a question about the adventurer range, if you push it your guided to send the unit back...... most times that just not needed.

I will carry on using my unit until it becomes unreliable, but until genuine support for the adventurer range is re established i will refrain from purchasing anymore memorymap products and would urge any of my friends to look at alternatives.