It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Cannot contact licence server so maps unavailable. DANGER!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:59 pm 

I have been using the Memory map app for a few years now and have both the 1:50 and 1:25k for areas I vist and have used these extensively.

As discussed on another thread the 1;25k ones will no longer load but the 1:50k do, to an extent. I was out canoeing on Loch Lomond today. It was a bit misty so I wanted to just double check my position. I was not relying on Memory Map, I am not that stupid but wanted to use it as a backup as I have done on many many occasions before. However, despite, me having a four bar signal I had no 3G connection (no surprise, I was in the middle of a loch). As a result Memory Map could not contact the licence server and would not show my purchased and legal map. The map I had bought and paid for, unviewable on the app I have bought and paid for, which I have viewed this very map on many times before and which has now been hobbled to the extent it is a danger in its unreliability.

Now that I am at home and have wifi connection I can view the map, but when I am out anywhere remote without a 3G signal it appers I no longer have access to the maps. If I could rely on having a 3G signal all the time I would use Google Maps. Anyone who has come to rely on this previously excellent app is going to find themself potentially in serious trouble.

I am guessing now but if this follows through to the ipad my Wifi Ipad is no longer going to be any use viewing maps when away from wifi. So having it as a backup with local maps when I am at a remote cottage on holiday is now no longer an option.

I am furious. As I say I have used this app for a few years now and had always recommended it to friends. It is now verging on useless and certainly not worth the £20 I paid for it or the far greater sum I have paid for digital maps I can no longer access on my iphone and ipad.

Now it may be that each map just needs to be verified by the server once but I don't see anywhere saying that and if I had been on holiday for a few weeks with no connectiion I would have been stuffed.

Please upgrade this app back to the previous version rather than continuing with this dangerous and unreliable version. Failing that can you recommend a relyable app that can be used offline with OS maps?

Post subject: Re: Cannot contact licence server so maps unavailable. DANGER!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:56 pm 

The last version of the app removed some maps due to limitations required by Apple. After working with Apple, changes have been made in the latest version that will not remove these maps. Once loaded to the device, they should be available regardless of your wireless connection.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:12 pm 

USmmtech wrote:
The last version of the app removed some maps due to limitations required by Apple. After working with Apple, changes have been made in the latest version that will not remove these maps. Once loaded to the device, they should be available regardless of your wireless connection.

I agree they should be available but they are not and I have the latest version. Plus the maps are not removed. I can view them when I have wifi and they show up as in the device and app even when I can't view them.

When will a version be available that allows me to view my paid for maps on my paid for device when offline? As it is this app is essentially useless as I can't view maps when I need them most.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:32 pm 

Please go to the map folder, select the blue arrow for you map highlighted, select BULK DOWNLOAD and then download size area you want. (This screen also shows you the amount of the map that has been downloaded so far.) This will ensure the full detail is downloaded for that area. Now place the phone in Airplane Mode and open the app. The map should be fully viewable without WiFi or cellular connection.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:17 pm 

There is no Bulk Download option for the 1:50k maps I am talking about because they are on my device and were on my device when I was unable to access them. I was denied access because he iPhone cold not contact your server.

It seems now that I have opened them all with a wifi connection they are still available when in airplane mode. Well when I say all region 3 and 10 will still not load and give me the same message as my 1-25k maps but that is a problem I have raised on another thread, although it is not being answered.

The problem I am highlighting on this thread is solved for me as I but it is still worth highlighting to people that the maps they have previously transferred to their iPhone will not be accessible, even though it is licenced and on their device, untill they have actually opened the map since the upgrade, with an Internet connection.