It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: S7000 buy or not to buy?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:19 am 

Was just about to order one having used MM for years on PC and mio 550 and would like the larger display and the benefit of the sat nav especially as it appears to cater for caravans. Alarmed to see all the moans about it and this has given me second thoughts about buying in view of the cost. Has the firmware update ever materialised? Should I avoid?

Chris

Post subject: Re: S7000 buy or not to buy?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:57 pm 

Hi Chris,

AFAIK an upgrade has not (yet) materialised, so other options are certainly worth considering.

There is the iPad app, and an Android app has been promised soon. However, they may not necessarily contain all the features that you're familiar with in the Windows Mobile application.

For caravan use, I'd consider a netbook with an external GPS dongle, which could cost far less than the 7000. A few USB GPS dongles are available, but I recommend using a Bluetooth GPS ("tethered" to the netbook just to keep the battery charged) and a BT dongle (if the netbook doesn't include BlueTooth). However, there is a disadvantage of a netbook if you use the Digital Map Shop. DMS maps are licensed for only one PC and one "Mobile Device", but a netbook is classed as a PC so you would have to pay for any DMS mapping twice.

Cheers, Alan.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:13 am 

Thanks Alan that is very helpful. Think i will stay with Mio for now and then perhaps an ipad. Do you have to have 3G + wifi for ipad? I seem to remember gps only on that and not on wifi only version. Presumably you also have to have another licence too for DMD.

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:04 pm 

Hi Chris,

Yes, I believe only the 3G iPad has built-in GPS, but some doubts have been expressed over its performance in "stand alone" mode (i.e. away from WiFi/3G assistance data). However, there are "official" external GPS adaptors available for all models (quite expensive) or they can be "jailbroken" to install BT drivers to use with any external Bluetooth GPS.

The iPhone "Free" app can be used with maps downloaded from the Digital Map Shop, but to use your existing CD/DVD maps you need the "Paid" app which I believe costs about £20.

Cheers, Alan.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:44 pm 

Hi Alan

Thanks for that it confirms what I suspected but I don't want a 3g pad as really have no use for it and also the cost. However I have found two devices which I think will provide GPS for the Wifi model. One bluetooth and one with a direct connection. Links below. Not sure which would be the best and neither is cheap. Don't know if you have any comments/views on this.

Thanks

Chris

http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Electronics- ... B004M3BICU

http://bad-elf.com/