It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Acer x960
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:36 pm 

Anybody got MM to work on one of these with the internal GPS?

Post subject: Re: Acer x960
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:09 pm 

Ok, got it working and the solution was unexpected so I thought I'd post again just in case anyone else finds themselves with the same problem.
As you will have gathered from the first post, after installing it, I couldn't get MM (v5.1.3) to work with the internal GPS and I wasn't all that surprised as, other than the built in Google Maps and GPS viewer I hadn't been able to get anything to work. The nearest I'd come was with a freeware prog, NaviComputer, which worked after a fashion but froze on exit and seemed to lock out the internal GPS.
Anyway having installed MM and failed to get it to work on any of the available COM ports I decided in desperation to try configuring it using the external GPS settings despite knowing that this should have nothing to do with the internal set up. Knowing from GPS viewer that the internal was on COM 0, I used that and COM 4 and, miracle of miracles, MM got a fix. Mind you, none of the other GPS progs now worked and MM exited with an error locking out the internal GPS until I restarted WM.
There was only one thing left to try; factory reset.
Imagine my surprise when I re-installed MM and it now worked... I'd set NMEA, COM 4 and 9600 Baud and it got a fix, exited normally and didn't lock up the GPS.
Being a curious type I still wanted to know what had caused the original problem so tried to make it happen again by replicating the original set up. Everything was fine until I re-installed NaviComputer, set it up and ran it. After that it was back to the original problem.
Beyond knowing that NaviComputer didn't seem to get on with WM6.1 and MM I've no idea what the conflict is but at least I've got it working.
So, it seems that, if you have problems with MM on a WM6 device, you may need to do a factory reset then reinstall without any other GPS software installed (other than View and Google) and without touching any external GPS settings.
Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:02 pm 

And yet more - if anyone is interested.
The 'phone proved to be a lemon! After lots of apparently hardware related problems I ended up returning it and now have a HTC Touch2 which works with MM with no messing around.
So, the moral of the story is, or may be, don't buy Acer - or, if you do, buy it from play.com who gave me a refund and refunded return postage without a quibble.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:48 pm 

Hi

I've got my Acer X960 working in MM 5.4.2 by (in GPS > Setup) setting Manufacturer to Generic (NMEA), (the Model selection is greyed out), Port to COM2 and Baud 4800. I've also ticked to disable auto power off and unticked Debug but don't know if that matters. Get a very quick GPS fix, quicker than any Adventurer I've tried; possibly uses mobile signal to assist GPS fix?. Occasionally in MM or more often in Google Maps the unit cannot find a GPS so I run the supplied GPS viewer, get a fix and exit and then everything works fine. The phone itself hardly crashes and is much more stable than the Eten Glofiish X800 on which it is obviously based (bought out by Acer).

I sometimes see the 'failed to terminate RS232 thread' error on exiting MM (usually if I am using it indoors and haven't got a GPS fix) but it works ok next time I run MM.

It's not the best smartphone but at less than £160 when I bought it a year ago it is good value as long as you don't need Acer's lamentable support. :)