It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Recording track points freezes PDA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:00 pm 

MM PNV 5.4.4 on PDA HTC Athena 7500 and WM 6.0.
Following effects on track recording:
Track overlay settings on max. points = 3000. Recording leads to freeze the PDA at an amount of nearby 3000 points.
MMPocketNav is the only application running. It can be seen that the cpu is in the beginning at 10% and with an increasing number of recorded track points it increases up to 100% nearby 3000 recorded points.

Only a soft reset take the PDA back to life.

Help appreciated
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Recording track points freezes PDA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:28 pm 

Hi,

It seems that M$ may have reduced the amount of memory available to apps in WM6.x.

Since MM allow you to change the track recording values, the obvious answer seems to be to reduce the values until it doesn't crash/hang. :roll:

Make sure that the (Min.) Update time and distance are not set to unnecessarily small values and try a limit of perhaps 2000 points. Use "Decimate" if you wish to record the whole track (with alternate trackpoints removed) when the number of values is exceeded, or "Wrap" if you wish to retain resolution but lose the first part of the recorded track. You can also start recording a new track at any time by unticking "active".

Cheers, Alan.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:43 pm 

Hi Alan,
MS has not reduced memory in WM6.x, in contrary every app has 2G virtual memory.
There are a bunch of indications lead to the assumption that the problem is the way of programming the data collection algorithm and the way collected data are kept in memory till it is written to the files called "UNDOxxx".
The steadily increasing cpu consumption according to the number of colleced track points is a strong indication.
At the amount of 1000 points cpu consumption is already at 60% and only to add 30 Byte position info. To hold the cpu consumption low, max. track point must be set max. to 500. But this means that there is a high frequency writing these UNDOxxx files. Here is the next pitfall, the numbering runs from 1 to ? BUT there are never more than 10 files existent. When a new file is inserted the lowest numbered one is removed. I need them all and do not want them to be deleted.
Track point collection must run unattendant for several days or weeks without ticking for a new track.

How is this behaviour manipulable? And where is it described, please give me a pointer to the document.

Thanks for your help

Manfred

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:13 pm 

Hi Manfred,

My comment on memory availability was based on the fact that some devices using WM6.1+ can only open .QCT map files up to about 100MB, compared with the 400MB of earlier versions. MM have blamed M$ for changing the way that memory is allocated and I believe the problem also occurs with earlier versions of MM (like v5.1.3) which don't use Undo files.

Many features of the WM version of MM are very similar to the PC version. Since M$ have broken all compatibility with WM/Phone7, I doubt if MM will do much (or any) more development of the application. Also, some enhancements to the PC version are long overdue and I do wonder if they are hampered by a "legacy" data structure. :(

Sadly, most technical details are only available on this forum, but a few details can be found in the embedded help facility (use the Search tab not the Index). The Undo is a new feature (in v5.4.x) and I don't know much about how it works (or is intended to be used).

It depends why you want to record for such a long time, but the "decimate" facility may be suitable. Alternatively, you might need to use another GPS logging application and then import the data into MM.

Cheers, Alan.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:16 pm 

Hi Allen,
would you be so kind to forward this communication to the MM lab to focus on the track point collection issue?
At the GPS setup window there is a flag Logging. When it is ticked the hook is on but when I open this window again the hook is gone and no logfile anywhere. Do you know where the logfile can be found if this promised logging will really work?

Cheers, Manfred

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:31 pm 

Hi Manfred,

Sorry, I don't work for MM so have no more access to the developers than you. Maybe Jason, USmmtech or just possibly Richard will pick up on this thread.

The embedded help file says:

"The Debug button checkbox in the GPS setup dialog is used to assist our support staff and developers in diagnosing new or unusual GPS interface problems. It captures a file called gps_debug.txt, containing details of the communication between the computer and the GPS. Check the Debug box, wait a few minutes (or perform the operation that is causing difficulty) then exit the application. The debug file can then be inspected or emailed to technical support."

It seems to work with v5.4.2 on my HP114 WM6 (.0?) with external Bluetooth GPS. The file is in the root "My Device" and seems to contain ALL the NMEA data stream. Within a few minutes it had created a file too large for (Pocket) Notepad to open, so I don't see it as a good solution to logging a track for many hours.

Cheers, Alan.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:05 pm 

Hi Allan,
sorry for my assumption you are an MM.
I was positive surprised because Jason did not came back on a thread of mine with issues on the pc implementation. In MMNav on PC the feature for calibration of maps (maplist) is quite tricky and buggy.

Thank you very much for your competent help.

Best regards
Manfred