It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: HTC HD2 Screen Off?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:09 pm 

A friend has lent me an HTC HD2 to test with MMv5.
So far so good - it's all working fine, MM loads and locks and I can use it just like I do my iPAQ.

However, in order to preserve battery life in the iPAQ I switch off the screen completely - not just dim it.
I don't seem to be able to do this with the HD2 - the only way I can make the screen go black while in the app is to use the off button in the bottom right corner - and that stops the GPS from connecting and loses my tracklog.

Surely other HD2 users have got round this somehow?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: HTC HD2 Screen Off?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:33 am 
Site Admin

Hank Handsome,

As far as I am aware, the power button is the only way to lock the screen on a HTC HD2.
Please be aware that it is not unusual for PDA devices to not have a screen lock at all, and it was only with the advent of Smartphones that the feature has become so common.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:42 pm 

Thanks Jason.

In WM6 there is an option to assign commands and actions to the buttons on the device - I use this in the iPAQ 214 to assign a <screen off> action to the "email" button on the device and a press and hold on the same button is assigned to <screen on>. Although this functionality is masked by the HTC Sense OS I was hoping that there would be someway to mimic this and blank the screen completely while still maintain a GPS lock so I can record a tracklog.

Anyone who is using MM on the HD2 must surely have found a way to blank the screen, else their device is only going to work for a few short hours before the battery dies. Initial testing suggests that with MM in foreground and screen as dim as I can make it, with everything switched off (wifi, BT, phone etc) I'm only likely to get about 6 hours total usage. Nowhere near enough to record a full days tracklog, never mind use the device for anything else.

Would like to understand how other HD2 users actually user their devices? Is it just to pull out and switch on when needed?
Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:28 pm 

I use an HTC Touch HD which dosen't shut off the gps when I switch off the screen. I agree, after doing a test, that you will get about 6 hours with a map onscreen and the gps running however I connect my phone to a usb charging station as below. This re-charges the phone about 4 times but I just connect them and, in theory, have a run time of 24 hours. The charger is exactly the same size and weight as the phone.
http://www.bestofferbuy.com/USB-Power-S ... aign=gbase

Barry