It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Memory Map instability on Mobile Device after upgrade
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:36 am 

I have used Memory Map V 5.1.3 & CAA electronic aviation charts without problems for a couple of years. I use a Mio P550 Pocket PC/ Windows mobile 5 PDA. Recently I purchased a CAA electronic chart from MM which would not run on the Memory Map version I had (V 5.1.3), so was required to upgrade both the PC and PDA to Memory Map V 5.4.2; the upgrade, which required registering, appeared to go smoothly. The new system however, although working OK on the PC, now causes the Mio mobile device to spontaneously leave the Memory Map program & go to the today screen, usually after about 15 mins - it also does not store routes properly (either importing them from the PC or manually on the PDA) and is generally unstable. I have tried un-installing MM on the mobile device & re-installing it but the problems persist. I’m annoyed about this because I only wanted a new chart – I would be happy running it from the old MM version but I can’t do that.

I have now re-installed the old version of Memory map & this works OK and is stable but of course I can't use the new chart I've bought & there will be problems viewing any new charts in the future. I feel that there should be backwards compatibility for the charts & would appreciate some help with this.

George

Post subject: Re: Memory Map instability on Mobile Device after upgrade
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

gboothby,

Hmmm I cant say Ive had any issues running MM 5.4.2 on a Mio P350 (which is indentical to a P550, but without WiFi).

Could the WiFi be closing the Memory-Map application?

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:21 pm 

Jason,

I can confirm that the WiFi, Bluetooth & all other programs were off when using MM on the Mio. I have checked and can also confirm that in the GPS/Setup of MM the 'Disable auto power off' box is checked & that in Windows Mobile 5 the Power settings are not configured to turn off. One question - currently, the GPS settings in WM5 are set for Windows Mobile to manage access to the GPS device (as it was when using MM v 5.1.3) - would this have an effect on the MM operation?

George

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:08 am 
Site Admin

gboothby,

No, that should make no difference at all.
I will get our developers to look at this for you.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:48 am 

Hi,

Has there been any response from the developers? A new feature added to MM v5.4.x is the auto-backup of the track log about every 10 minutes. I'm not sure where this file is stored, but I wonder could MM be having problems writing the file (e.g. due to permissions or write-protection on the card/RAM)?

Cheers, Alan.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:58 pm 

Alan,

This sounds interesting as the problem occurs at about a 10 min interval, though its not consistently that figure. I'll re-install V5.4.2 on to the Mio PDA & take some measurements.

George

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:43 am 

Have tried again to install and run the new version. I thought the problem might be related to old MM directories left behind after removing the old version, so I manually removed the old directory. Initially I thought I had solved the problem and it ran OK for a number of hours. However it did finally close down and go to the Today screen. On subsequent trials I found that the length of time it would operate was variable - sometimes a 10 - 15 mins, at other time an hour or so. These tests were all done with the Mio PDA on external power. One thing I have determined is that when it leaves the MM program and goes to the 'Today' screen it closes down the MM program - so it looks like the MM program is shutting down after an indeterminate period.

Thoughts anyone?

George

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:28 pm 

Hi, did this get sorted as its exactly the same on my TG01 phone, goes to the today screen after a short period and doesnt seem to have saved its state or track.

I desperately need to get this sorted and any help appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:56 pm 

No, not yet. I have not heard any more from MM re this & have not been able to resolve it myself. I'm currently using the old version on my device with the old map.

George

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:23 am 

Jason

Has there been any developments regarding this problem? Although I use the Mio P550/WM5 OK with the old version of MM with the old chart, I would really like to be able to use the current CAA charts under the new version (5.4.2).

George